Main menu:

Palma Airport

Palma Airport, located 8 km east from the city of Palma, Majorca, adjacent to the village of Can Pastilla.

Airport traffic is primarily international and reaches its greatest levels during the summer season. There are also numerous connections to the mainland.

The most important connections are to Barcelona and Madrid-Barajas, with over one million passengers, and Düsseldorf and Manchester, each of which handles over 700,000 passengers per year.

By nationality, Germany accounts for the largest number of passengers, followed by Spain and the United Kingdom.

In 2010, Son Sant Joan closed the year with a total of 21,117,270 passengers, 174,631 operations and 17,289 tonnes of cargo.

Palma Aipport History

The history of Palma de Mallorca airport began in the 1920s, when seaplanes were used for postal services to the other Balearic Islands. A flat field next to Son Sant Joan was then used in the 1930s for flight routes to other parts of Spain. A private aerodome was also set up.

In 1938, Palma de Mallorca airport started being used for military aviation, while Iberia and Lufthansa established new routes to the military base.

In 1954, Palma de Mallorca’s runway was extended and asphalted, and also had brand new taxiways and aprons added near it. This made the airport able to serve more airlines and more types of aircraft.

The increase in traffic in 1958 led to a new terminal being constructed, and turned the airbase into a large civilian airport. A new large apron was also built. The new airport opened to domestic and international traffic on 7 July 1960. Just two weeks later, expansion to the aerodome was planned,including the extension of the runway and taxiway. At the end of the year, more plans were made, including a power plant, a communications centre and fire and rescue facilities.[5]

After reaching 1 million passengers for the first time in 1962, in 1965, a new terminal was constructed, and air navigation services were completed at the end of the following year. Also in 1965, a smaller terminal which today is terminal B was planned to be built, due to passenger numbers increasing rapidly, reaching 2 million in 1965. A second runway was also to be built. It was to be built parallel to the existing one, and work began on it in 1970. Two years later, terminal B went into service, and the second runway opened in 1974.

In 1980, the airport carried 7 million passengers. However, this increased to nearly 10 million in 1986. This yet again led to a new terminal to be constructed, which is today’s current terminal, which is terminal A. Construction started in mid 1993 and was designed by the Majorcan architect Pere Nicolau Bonet. during the construction in 1995, passenger numbers exceeded 15 million. The new terminal finally opened in 1997.

Address

Aeroporto Palma de Mallorca
07000 Palma de Mallorca
Spain

Telephone, fax, email

Telephone: +34(0)971 789 000
Fax: +34(0)971 789 014
Email: pmi_info@aena.es

Airport Codes

IATA airport code: PMI
ICAO airport code: LEPA

Websites

www.palma-airport.info Palma Airport